Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon...



"It was like drowning, only from the inside out."


Nine-year-old Trisha McFarland strays from the path while she and her recently divorced mother and brother take a hike along a branch of the Appalachian Trail. Lost for days, wandering farther and farther astray, Trisha has only her portable radio for comfort. A huge fan of Tom Gordon, a Boston Red Sox relief pitcher, she listens to baseball games and fantasizes that her hero will save her. Nature isn't her only adversary, though - something dangerous may be tracking Trisha through the dark woods.~~Goodreads

Author: Stephen King
Published: 1999
Purchased: Amazon.com

Review

I used to be a big fan of Stephen King. I loved Salem's Lot, Pet Semetary, Misery, The Firestarter, Cujo, and many others. The old Stephen King books seemed to take on a life of their own. I remember while reading Salem's Lot  I got up and closed the curtains, you know, just in case, and in Pet Semetary  the image of that little piece of garbage bag on the cat's mouth stayed with me for days.

 And then-I lost interest. Stephen King books became huge tomes that I couldn't plow through and to make it worse I didn't want to. One day I just stopped reading him. From that day forward I've missed him. When a friend recommended The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon  I became excited. She bragged about it to the point that I began to reminisce about Paul Sheldon. I ran out and bought it as fast as I could.

I was sorely disappointed. I want say it wasn't worth reading, but it wasn't my Stephen King. The Stephen King I loved. The Stephen King that made me close those curtains and go in search of a crucifix. That's the Stephen King I'm searching for and that, sadly, isn't the Stephen King I found.
 I give it 2 stars for being a readable piece of fiction.

Happy Reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...