Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sock Monkeys Galore...

 

In my profile you will notice I collect sock monkeys. I love the old ones, but just about any kind will do. In the beginning I named them and could actually tell you their names, but I gave that up as the collection grew. I do remember however, that there was Marcell and Marcie (the twins), Michael, Mitchell, Mavis... oh well enough of that.

 I have made several, but not always out of the correct socks. You can use any socks you desire for a unique look, but the Red Heel Rockford socks are the best and are what the old original sock monkeys were made from. You can tell if they are vintage by looking at their lips. The old monkeys have more of an orange color rather than true red.

I glued felt on for the eyes and nostrils and  used the toe of a third sock for the hat. The last pair of Red Heel socks I bought came from Walmart. You may have to order them on-line, but check your store first.

These are really fun to make and kids love them. I made one for each of my two great-nephews when they were 3 and 8. They still have them and they are 13 and 18 now. Those monkeys have been the topic of many conversations over the years.

I purchased a book at the Houston Quilt show called "Contemporary Classics by Liberty Homestead" it has some really cute patterns in it for clothes. The ones I saw were made out of flannel and so cute I couldn't resist buying the book.

Here is the pattern for making a sock monkey. If you decide to make one good luck and let me know how it turns out.

MATERIALS:
• One pair Rockford Red Heel Socks.
• Cotton batting or polyester fiber for stuffing.
• Red embroidery thread for smile.
• Black embroidery thread for eyes.
• All purpose thread.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Turn sock inside out.
2. Sew a seam (A) 1/2" on both sides of center of sock starting 3" from the white of the heel and across the end of top. Cut socks between seams and to within 1-1/2" of white heel. This leaves an opening in crotch.
3. Then turn sock so seams are inside and use crotch opening to stuff head, body and legs.
ARMS:
4. Cut the upper part of the sock into two pieces. Seam, rounding ends and stuff the arms.
MOUTH:
5. Cut the heel from the sock, leaving a brown edge around the white. Fasten on lower part of the face, whipping around the bottom; stuff and finish sewing around the top. The mouth can be improved by running stitch of either black or white across the middle of the lips.
TAIL:
6. Cut a 1" strip, taper to end of cuff on length of front of sock. Seam and stuff.
EARS:
7. Cut the ears from the remaining brown part of the sole of the sock.
EYES:
8. Sew on moving eyes; buttons, felt, or embroider with black thread.
 
<><><><><>

 

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! I had a Sock Monkey as a kid...They were ALL the rage in the 50's!
    Thanks for this sweet memory!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...