Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Crisp Peppernuts...

Today I started preparations for the holidays and part of those preparations include making Crisp Peppernuts. Peppernuts are wonderful little cookies about the size of a quarter. The recipe is similar to that of ginger snaps, but includes Anise. Anise has a licorice-like flavor, although if you don't like licorice you will still like these cookies.

 At the beginning of the holidays my youngest always calls me with this question, "Are you making those little cookies this year?" I call them buttons due to there tiny size. Give me a steaming mug of coffee and a handful of buttons and the holidays have begun.
  
Ingredients:
 1 1/2 cups of butter * 2 1/4 cups of sugar * 3 Tbs. of molasses * 3 eggs, beaten * 5 5/8 sifted flour *  3 tsp. soda * 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon * 1 1/2 tsp. cloves * 1 1/2 tsp. ginger * 1 1/2 tsp. Anise oil

Cream butter and sugar. Add molasses and eggs. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Let set in fridge over night. Roll in rope shape (about 1/2 inch round) slice and put on cookie sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven about 7-8 minutes.
 One Christmas I received these little cookies along with a coffee mug from Hubby's sister who lives in Kansas. She said some people put more Anise than others and some add nuts and other items. I have always followed the recipe, but you can adjust them to your own taste. Hubby thinks they would be good with lemon, so this time I divided the dough and added lemon extract. We'll see.
Enjoy and have a great day!!!

3 comments:

  1. ...Have I already told you that you are a TROUBLEMAKER???Hahahaaaaa.....Oh Girl!
    These sound and Look, Delicious!!!
    Thanks!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously??? I have to make these now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are truly the BEST little snack to have along with a cup of coffee!!! LOVE PEPPERNUTS!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...