Monday, January 30, 2012

Easy Recipe for Wine Making...

I got up early this morning and decided before I left the house I was going to make a gallon of wine. A friend gave me a gallon and a half of fresh grape juice some time ago and I stored it in the freezer for this purpose. I couldn't find my favorite recipe, so used another recipe. I hope it turns out, but whether it does or it doesn't I now have a gallon of red, sweet, fermenting mixture in my pantry. It will be ready on February 27th.

1 glass gallon jar with small mouth. 4 cups sugar. 
Add 4 cups boiling water and stir with a long handled spoon.
Mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of dry yeast with 1 Tablespoon of warm water to make a smooth paste.
Add 3 quarts of grape juice and the yeast to the sugar mixture. Stir well.
Put a large ballon over the mouth of the jar. Secure tightly with string or rubber band.
The balloon will inflate. The wine will be ready when the balloon deflates. This should take about 24 days. Strain the wine several times before bottling.
Enjoy!!!


14 comments:

  1. That Easy??? Wow! My Mom use to make wine, but I don't remember how she did it!
    Thanks Kathy!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waooo, very easy steps

    ReplyDelete
  3. can I mix the sugar and boiling water first and then add to bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So dont let the gas out of the bottle? Dont touch it or strain it untill the ballon deflates?

    ReplyDelete
  5. See also more and compare for best prices deals for Wine Making Accessories here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Don't strain it. Allow the wine to settle 24hrs. Tip carefully into bottles. Compost the dregs. Just another opinion..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you have grape juice with alcohol that tastes like rubber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. does it really taste like rubber? I want to try mead without buying an airlock

      Delete
    2. An airlock is not expensive and its well worth it!

      Delete
    3. Buy an airlock! You'll be glad you did!

      Delete
  8. Airlocks are like... 2-3 dollars. The bungs that you use to plug up the jug costs about the same. Sometimes though, they leave a rubber smell on the jug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your work. I'll come back for more

    Keep up the good work :) from TheStillery, a night bar in stuart Florida

    ReplyDelete
  10. what kind of wine yeast are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeast is a fungus. It's just in isolated concentrated form as "brewers yeast". Same makes bread. Same grows in your body. They call it "hooch" when made from alternate sources of the fungus. Like from bread used as yeast source. Problem is yeast must be 'living' to work.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...